In December 2017, J. Rotherham was commissioned by the Prince of Wales’ own Regiment of Yorkshire (PWO) to carry out work on a memorial to honour those that lost their lives serving in battle.
The regiment sourced their own stone from Burlington Slate Ltd, Kirby-in-Furness, Cumbria, in November last year. “We visited quarries in Wales, West Yorkshire, and Cumbria, and looked at hundreds and hundreds of stones, settling on a piece to depict the ruggedness of Yorkshire and our Regiment” said the Regiment’s Secretary, Captain Brian Atkinson
From here, J. Rotherham took the stone in its raw form and manufactured the memorial using a mixture of traditional craftmanship and modern stone masonry techniques. Panels were machined by computer numerically controlled (CNC) machinery, lettering was sandblasted into the stone and the regimental badges were hand crafted by one of the company’s longest serving stone masons.
A Commemoration and Dedication service took place at the National Memorial Arboretum on the morning of Sunday 29th April 2018. The service was attended by three Major Generals from each of the Yorkshire regiments that make up the PWO. Ray Lord, 97 was also in attendance. Ray served in the regiment during WW2 and landed on Sword Beach in Normandy France on D day.
History of The Prince of Wales Own Regiment of Yorkshire
The Prince of Wales’s Own Regiment of Yorkshire was an infantry regiment of the British Army, part of the King’s Division. It was created in 1958 by the amalgamation of the West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales’s Own) and the East Yorkshire Regiment (Duke of York’s Own).
After 48 years’ service, the regiment was amalgamated again, this time with two other Yorkshire regiments. It became the 1st Battalion of the, with the Green Howards forming the 2nd Battalion and the Duke of Wellington’s Regiment forming the 3rd Battalion on 6 June 2006.